Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My armature is delivered to my door.

Texas sculptor sculpts portrait of Evelyn Rubenstein
A box with my foam
armature of Evelyn

Texas sculptor sculpts portrait of Evelyn Rubenstein
Here is a visual description of how the milling process is done.
Depending on the amount of axis or rotation of the sculpture and the
bit, finer detail can be created.
I had been away and out of the studio for a week and while gone I was happy to see that Synappsys Digital Services, took the digital work that I had done and created and milled out my pieces.  Here is a bit of technical information for any artists seeing this blog post. Synappsys has  two CNC milling machines, a 21inch z axis,   and a custom one that they designed and built— a 3 axis- with a 8' rotary axis. besides  milling Synappsys Digital Services, offers 3d rapid prototyping. They are in Norman Oklamoma which does not pose that much of a problem for me as a Texas artist as I can send them my files and foam pieces are light and will fit in a wardrobe box.
Digital Sculpture and processes with Texas sculptor Bridgette Mongeon
Milling in pieces
with Synappsys Digital Services


The process
Foam is put on the milling machine and the machine mills out the digital file that I have sent to them.  The entire reason for this process is that it saves me time in creating an armature. I also can figure out some details of the process, and design which has been discussed in previous posts.


I'm thrilled to have the pieces here when I get home from my trip and I absolutely can't wait to get my hands dirty.  Getting ready to open the box.