Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sculpting foam-getting connected with a sculpture

Digital Sculpture and processes with Texas sculptor Bridgette Mongeon
Carving depth into the foam 
armature. 
I am so excited to have my foam pieces created by Synappsys Digital Services so that it will expedite my process of creating the sculpture of Evelyn Rubenstein for the Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center.  There is still some work to do on the foam before I can cover it with clay. I can revise the piece and create deeper cuts into the sculpture.  This give the sculpture depth.  I love the sweater that Evelyn is wearing in this piece and I can hardly wait to put the texture into it in the end, but that is a long way off.

Digital Sculpture and processes with Texas sculptor Bridgette Mongeon
Covering foam pieces with hot foundry wax.
My foam has been put together and now I must carve and sand. Carving is easy as the foam is like butter.  However,  this is a dirty job requiring masks and a nearby shop vac, but it is not nearly as bad as the carving process of the 11 foot panther for Prairie View A & M.  This is an intimate time with the piece, I can feel more connected.  

Once I feel that I have carved or sanded a piece as much as necessary I cover the foam pieces with hot foundry wax.  This is so that the grit of the foam does not get into my clay. I'm amazed at what a tactile person I am, having grit in my clay makes me a rather irritated sculptor.  My sense of touch is disrupted.  Therefore the wax coating, and continuous vacuuming is necessary.


__________________________